Saturday 26 July 2008

Roar!

I just want to be in the same room as him; to watch with him the sun set and hold him in my arms until, and beyond, it rises again. I want to cup his face in my hands and kiss his lips and say, staring into his eyes, without prevarication or dubious intent exactly what he means to me.

But as that is never, ever going to happen let these words be an end to it. The deed is done and the invisible boyfriend is now as unknown as he was unseen.
_________________

I was out tonight at a friend’s birthday drinks and a good time was had by all. She kindly let me know she had invited along a friend who is a single gay man – from, of all places, Guildford – but he and I never really got a chance to speak... However, being slightly the worse for wear I insisted nonetheless that he and I be fixed up at the earliest possible opportunity! You see, gentle reader, it is my birthday soon enough and back on the market I intend to enjoy myself!

I’m extraordinarily fond of being a Leo, and this is the time of year when I usually let my hair down and enjoy myself slightly more than the mean. Admittedly this year that might take some doing *ahem* but timing is everything! And in that regard I do not intend to look for a boyfriend, Mr Right, or variations on that theme thereto until at least September.

I have already lined up two dates next week; Tuesday and Thursday – and I have two other guys pursuing me for similar in the near future. Plus, I have been lucky enough to arrange a baser event with a charming couple in Eltham, not far from where I live, for Sunday evening. Yup: back in the saddle I am…

Going back to tonight, and apologies for the rambling nature of this post, but I done drunk me a fair bit of ye olde beer and along the way; I sat in the pub and laughed so long and so hard my cheekbones still ache. Plus I learnt what (click the link at home) ‘tromboning’ was.

I had my interview on Thursday and first thing this morning I was offered the post – which I gladly accepted. I think, assuming my health screen and references go OK, that I will genuinely miss seeing every day the people that have become my best friends over the last five years, and having evenings like tonight. And although my ‘new’ job is literally just around the corner it will never, ever be the same. In a sense I’m walking away from the people that embraced me when I first came out and that’s really hard.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, maybe you've the feeling you're walking away from the people who were there for you when you first came out. But they are the ones who stay with you, as friends.

The new job will give you the opportunity to meet new people, new friends, friends of friends etc.

Just explore and enjoy!