Tuesday 11 August 2009

Sadness

I had a bit of a rough day today. All manner of petty trials and disagreements conspired against my mood. One of the nice things about being in a relationship is that I was able to turn to Fella for *hugs*. But still, not so pleasant.

Friend/colleague/evil ‘C’ pointed out to me today that I tend to flirt with office eye candy a lot more when my mood is low. This got me, as these things will, to thinking…

It occurred to me, gentle reader, that I go for guys because I have a low opinion of myself; that I feel inadequate.

Shock

Horror

Divers Alarums

Careful thought
.


God knows I like my man fun - and rarely if ever feel I get enough. Is this second hand epiphany result of my journey – perhaps my only, perhaps the first of many – between one monogamous relationship and another? Or perhaps because I had bad, bad day. Is it true? Is it??

The office is pretty full of eye candy at the moment. Goodness I do like thin tall guys, slightly nerdy, and in glasses [cue friend ‘A’?] and it is raining those guys in Victoria at the moment…

So here I am. In a relationship with a great guy; but still looking at guys wanting them to want me. See what I mean (longest standing and most gentle of all readers) about only being 19 in gay years? Goshdarn. I suppose the nice thing is I’m not actively trying to sleep with other guys (though if Fella hadn’t turned up…).

I suppose it shows how things come full circle. The whole point of coming out – when I was with Darren – was to come to terms with myself and make gay friends; explore gay culture and so on. My erstwhile heartbreak over him comes from being abandoned at the start of that journey. Perhaps I haven’t grown as much as I might suppose if I still meet gay guy guys and think “sex?” not “friend?”

Well, Rules 1, 2 and 3 are on the shelf right now so low self esteem or no it’s time to just grow up about the fact nothing can happen with guy X, Y, Z and instead… I dunno… treat them like straight-plus?

These things will have to happen on their own I think. I will admit my problems always seem small compared to those of others and that’s reason number 17 I need my friends around me – gay or straight – but at least now I know and they do tell me that knowledge is power.


4 comments:

Gauss Jordan said...

Hey, Happy (Belated) Birthday!

"Perhaps I haven’t grown as much as I might suppose if I still meet gay guy guys and think 'sex?' not 'friend?'"

I know the feeling. I set out looking for friends, but realized a while ago that I'm looking for both -- and not necessarily from the same guys...

MadeInScotland said...

low self estime. Apperently Boby P's mther had the same. It's a killer. And it effexs your spelling and puncchation to.oo.

do you ever go window shopping? You look, but you never buy...

tomorrow you will be better

ahoj
xxx

Gauss Jordan said...

Aww. I feel for you. Just yesterday, I think I did more harm than good at work, and was feeling sullen when I ducked out of the office. Dinner out with friends, however, completely turned that around. We ended up staying out until about 10:30 (we got kicked out of the restaurant at 10, and just kept chatting outside on the sidewalk).

Sounds like your guy provides that sort of support for you. Aww. :-)

Hope the rest of your week turns out better,
~G.

Antony said...

Awwe, hugs.

We all feel like this from time to time, I guess you could say it's normal.

I also agree that most gay men tend to meet other gay men and this "sex?" rather than "friend?". Makes me sigh at times.

Hugs,

Antony x