Thursday 20 January 2011

Wedding Plans

Save the date, Gentle Reader, for Fella and I are to be married on 15 May 2013. Where? St James’s Church Piccadilly. And afterward, we honeymoon in the Maldives or the Seychelles. The guest list is going to be 60 or so people, and the total cost will be about £5,000.


There, that was easy...

As a project manager I’m dealing with a lot of the arrangements, though Fella will no doubt have a strong contribution when it comes to the aesthetics, the music, that kind of thing; his forte. I myself am less a bride than a potential bridezilla. The day itself doesn’t excite me too much yet, though that may change... the state of nuptial bliss tantalises me more.

Why? Well, it’s simple – 15 May is when we met, so we thought it would make a nice choice of date. St James’s is the place we met, and I’ve always wanted to have a nice luxurious indulgent holiday in a lovely spot like those islands... As for the year. 50% is because my exam are that period in 2011 and 2012, 40% is because I will have cleared all my debts by then and saved up enough to start us off properly, and 10% is bet hedging.

Yes, gentle reader, risk management relationship-stylie. We’ve been together 20 months, but the wedding will be the fourth anniversary of our meeting and that gives us plenty of time to grow, adapt, and yes if need be change our minds. Bad fairy? You decide!

I strongly believe gay people should have the same rights as straight people; but I also spy the advantage of homosexuality in not having to follow the cultural traditions of mortgage-marriage-children-death... so, all things being equal, I’m fine with marriage, or more accurately civil partnership or without it. But here we are, and it is a good thing we plan to do.

One thing that does get me is the civil partnership aspect. It’s kind of a separate-but-equal kind of marriage. And “oh... if you MUST” kind of deal. And that does get to me slightly. Firstly, I don’t like the idea of my rights being handed down to me by anyone. No-one gets to decide what my rights are until I start infringing on the rights of others. And marriage simply doesn’t do that.

Also, the status of civil partnerships varies from country to country. In Germany, for example, a ‘registered partnership’ would not give us the same tax status as married straight couples; we would not legally be allowed to adopt (though single gay people may, bizarrely) and we would not have final say in medical cases, say a living will or organ donation, over our respective families. This is an issue given my German lineage.

Still, I am confident that things will get better and with vigilance these distinctions will erode. And anyway the whole point is to build a life together, where I can spend my days making Fella happy for as long as he wants me

So roll on 2013...



3 comments:

MadeInScotland said...

we were 9 may.

marriage - London

lune de miel pt 1 - Helsinki (Eurovision)

lune de miel pt 2 - la Reunion

Baltic to Indian Ocean in 1 week, Eurovision song contest, totally happy and fun. The BEST.

Plan well and enjoy.

Nik_TheGreek said...

Congratulations! That is something to really look forward to!
Enjoy the process of organising it. You have plenty of time!

Flo said...

Many congratulations on setting a date! It is fantastic news!

You might be interested in knowing about the following, if you don't know about it already: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12052554. Eight couples in Camden, four straight and four gay, are challenging the UK's ban on gay marriage and straight civil partnership, arguing that all couples should have equal rights in law. As one half of a straight couple who would like the status of a legal partnership without signing up to an institution which we feel is rooted in religion (we are not religious) and inequality, at least historically i.e. we don't want to get married but would like to be civil partners, I have been following this case with interest.

Enjoy!

Flo